The “good news” of the gospel is set against the bad news of personal sin. From the apostle Paul’s letter to the church at Rome, we discover five important truths from God about our own brokenness and the hope only He can offer. This is oftentimes referred to as “The Romans Road.”
(1) God wants you to know that you are a sinner in need of a Savior, and for this reason.
“As it is written: ‘There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God’.”
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23).
(2) God wants you to know that the result of personal sin is death.
“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom. 6:23).
(3) God wants you to know that He loves sinners and that Christ died for all who will believe in Him as personal Savior.
“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom. 5:8).
(4) God wants you to know that the way of salvation is by confession of faith in Jesus as the LORD, and belief in His bodily resurrection.
“If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved” (Rom. 10:9-10).
(5) God wants you to know that if you call upon the name of the LORD you will be saved.
“For, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Rom. 10:13).